It’s a new week and that means there should be new hope around the UNT football team. I know some fans are pushing the panic button, but I believe we have to wait till we play SMU before we push it.
1. QB competition has been reopen. Not sure I totally agree with this idea. I also believe that the QB competition hindered the offense on Saturday night. I’m a full believer that if your preparing a new QB that he needs as many reps as he can get with the first team in order to establish a rhythm. You saw the effects on Saturday night. The offense was in no rhythm and it looked atrocious. Pick your guy and stick with him. Give him all the coaching and reps in order to get him prepared. Josh Greer was not prepared for what unfolded Saturday night. Now by opening up the competition your opening up yourself to the same thing that happened on Saturday. How will reps be split? Is this still a 2 man competition? Or will all 4 be given a fair shot? Just saying I hope this ends well, but I have my concerns. For all the Derek Thompson haters – ” Do you miss me now”
2. Could we just stop the Dajon can be our hero song? In case you missed it Coach Mac said on his radio show that he didn’t even think about putting in the RS FR against Texas. His reasoning is that Dajon is not ready and has missed practices. The coaches like his talent otherwise they would have dismissed the young man already. UNT coaches and fans are hoping the light clicks on for Dajon. I’m saying dont count on it.
3. My CUSA Power Poll.
Game Plan for Victory
OFFENSE (1 out of 10)
Limit mistakes and missed assignments No not even close there were blown assignments all over the place. Plus tons of miss reads by the QBs, drop passes, missed running lanes. It was just U-G-L-Y
Have a run to pass ratio of at least 60% to 40% Hit this one, although it was a leaning a little too much towards the run. UNT’s run pass ratio was 72% run 28% pass.
Hit at least 46 rushing attempt Nope only got 43.
Average 5 yards per 1st down play Not even close 2.86
Average 6 yards per play through the game Not even close 1.5 YPP.
Get close to 180 yards passing and rushing 15 Yards passing, 79 yards rushing. Just stinky
Convert over 40% of 3rd downs No 20%
Ease Josh Greer into the game with easy throws Nope. Coach Canales needs to do a much better job with this aspect this week.
Make Texas read and react rather than let them play downhill and fast Texas was very aggressive all game long and UNT never really challenged them. UNT was never able to slow them down or put UT on its heels.
Score over 24 points No
DEFENSE (5 out of 10)
Force Texas to have a run to pass ratio of 42% to 58% Run 46% Pass 54%
Force Texas into a passing down at least 65% of the time on 3rd downs Yes! The UNT D was able to force Texas to be in a 3&5 or longer 87% of the time. That’s a pretty remarkable stat.
Limit Texas to under 150 yards rushing Close, but not quite. UT had 164 yards on the ground.
Limit Texas to under 250 yards passing Yes. 190 yards passing
Limit Texas to under 5 yards per play Yes. Texas had 4.74 YPP
Limit Texas to under 40% 3rd down conversation rate Yes. 27%
Force 2 Texas turnovers Yes. 2 TO’s
Force David Ash to beat you over the top Ash never really had to or tried to throw it deep.
Don’t let the OL get engaged with their blocks, beat them off the snap and penetrate For the most part the DL did a pretty good job. On those long runs you could see where the UNT DL got walled off which lead to a nice hole for the UT back to run through.
Limit Texas to under 21 points No. I’ll say that they gave up 24 points when Texas actually had to drive the ball more than 50 yards against them.
7. My MVP’s for the UT game were:
Offense – Reggie Pegram
Defense – Kenny Buyers
Special Teams – Blake Macek
8. Vegas has the early line at -3.5 in UNT’s favor over SMU. That basically is just accounting for home field advantage. It will be interesting to see what the over/under ends up being.
9. Dan McCarney after a loss is 11-6 and 12-5 at home. Those are reasons to hope right there folks. If there is one thing I’ve learned about Coach McCarney is that his teams are generally really well prepared. When they play games that were just bad their next week they came out and really played well.
10. Bold Prediction of the Week – Josh Greer will be the most improved QB in the country. His QB efficiency will go from a -12.5 to 84.4.